Monday, March 19, 2012

My latest half marathon

Well, after a 3 year break from running half marathons, I finally got back in the saddle.  Yesterday I ran the Shamrock half marathon in Virginia Beach.  It's been an annual trip for my family since 2007, and we very much enjoy the festivities.  The support for all the events is overwhelming, and the courses are great!

Saturday I was feeling very bad.  I had been healthy all winter long and began to come down with a cold Friday.  Saturday it just wasn't getting any better, and I finally turned to some cold medication.  I hate taking medicine of any kind, but I didn't want to feel bad for Sunday.  I took a round of medicine every 4 hours trying to start feeling a little better.  It seemed to be helping, but I still didn't feel right.  Spent most of the night up and down with an upset stomach, and questioning whether I should even go and try to run. 

Finally Sunday morning rolled around.  My voice was more or less gone, and my stomach was still pretty unsettled.  I decided to just suck it up and go run.  I kissed my daughters and wife goodbye and they wished me luck.  I started my 1 mile walk to the start line.

Once I got to the start line, I realized I forgot my ipod.  No big deal, I could just take in the fun and excitement around me that a great race has to offer.  I also realized I was overdressed.  I wasn't feeling well and put on an extra layer or two thinking I would be chilled throughout the race.  I shed one layer before we even started, and about half a mile in shed another layer.  Happily I ran past my family watching at mile 1 and was able to hand off some clothing.  The miles just seemed to fly by pretty easily.  I felt great and realized how much training I had put into this race.  I never made a true long run, sticking primarily to my 3-4 mile runs.  I made it through mile 8 easily, which I anticipated.  I knew if I got to the lighthouses on mile 8 that I would be alright.  I kept my pace in check and never tried to do what I couldn't handle.  Once I got to mile 9, I just started counting down the blocks until I would get to see my family again.  I knew once I got to them I was just a little over a mile from finishing.  I kept an even pace until we turned out onto the boardwalk, and then I began to pick it up just a bit as the finish line came into sight.  I had a bit of pain in my knees and my left hip, but I knew I was on a great pace for me and had a goal in mind.  I couldn't have been happier to meet and exceed my time goal. 

The Yuengling Lager was nice and cold at the finish line and the Irish Stew was good as always.  I look forward to this being a family tradition for years to come.  I believe my daughters will both be involved in the children's events next year.

Special thanks to all the volunteers who give their time so we can enjoy an event like this.  Also a special thanks to the event organizers who put on a wonderful event every year.

Have a great evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment