Monday, January 21, 2013

Plugging along

Last week was a strange week of training.  I missed one of my mid week workouts, but did manage to get a run outdoors yesterday.  I don't do many training runs outdoors a lot anymore mostly due to the fear of injury I guess, especially in the winter time.  I must say I did enjoy my outdoor run, and just like normal, my outdoor pace was much faster than my normal treadmill pace.  In addition to that, I had almost 100 feet of elevation gain.  It was an enjoyable run.  I certainly didn't set any distance records, but I felt good when I finished and did a cool down mile walking with my dogs.  Thursday was a longer run, and I felt good, but I was thrilled to get an outdoor run in on Sunday.  By the looks of the weather, this week will be totally indoors with temperatures not getting above freezing for the week.  I will still get my 10-12 miles with my dogs, but I will pick and choose my times wisely for sure.  I need to start adding a long run to my routine, either Thursday afternoon or over the weekend.  My first half marathon of 2013 is just under 8 weeks away.  Strength training has been going well, although not as intense as I'd hoping I would be able to sustain.  Time gets to be a factor for sure.  Looking forward to a few good training runs this week!

Girls are doing great.  My oldest daughter recovered very quickly from strep throat, and my youngest daughter has been healthy through the winter so far.  It was a rough week or two at the beginning of the year with some sleeplessness out of both girls, but we seem to be back on the right track now.  It looks as though my wife may be coming down with the flu.  She's been a bit under the weather since Friday.  I'm hopeful that it passes quickly and stays with her and doesn't spread through our household!

I'm afraid if I go into the whole Lance Armstrong confession, I will never finish this post, but I will try to make this brief.  Armstrong has to live with his own demons and make amends on his own. Forgiveness is not up to him.  I sincerely hope the Live Strong organization can survive, find a new spokesperson/role model and continue to help victims and families deal with cancer.  As for PEDs and sports, I think it's been an ongoing problem for a long time.  Bigger, faster, stronger, more endurance, quicker recovery, seems to be a culture, whether you race a bike, hit a baseball, sprint, tackle a quarterback, the list just goes on and on.  I'm not going to offer up a solution, there are plenty of people out there working on that.  I will just say as a sports fan it would be nice to see pure clean sports and athletes.

Have a great evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment