Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Tough Times

On October 27 I was fortunate enough to participate in the Blue Moon Wicked 10K in VA Beach.  I hadn't run since October 11, and only managed a few miles on the bike during that time.  I did log many miles walking my dogs at a brisk pace, so it wasn't as though I was sitting around totally dormant.  I still wouldn't recommend going over 2 weeks without a run, but a combination of half marathon recovery from October 7, sick children, and just a busy life during that time forced me to take a break from running.  I registered with a time in my head that put me in corral 1.  I wasn't feeling like my training justified me to be up front with anyone, so I reluctantly dropped back to corral 2 feeling a little better about being back there.  The weather was great, a little breezy, and temps in the low 60's, with hurricane Sandy looming just days away we were very fortunate to have weather that good.  The race started out at a nice steady pace for me.  I wasn't up with the rabbits but I wasn't stuck in traffic either.  I felt as though I could run a nice steady pace where I was and could finish with a good time.  We headed toward Atlantic with a nice cross breeze and made the right turn onto Atlantic toward the inlet with no trouble.  I was settling into my run nicely and feeling pretty good.  Got to the turnaround at the inlet and starting making my way to the boardwalk and I could feel the wind start to pick up a bit.  Once I made the turn onto the boardwalk, sand started hitting me in the face and the wind was no longer shielded by the hotels.  It was a long 9 blocks with a headwind, but I lumbered through and didn't feel like I lost a lot of time out there.  Once we were back out onto Atlantic, I got to run past my daughters again which I was really looking forward to.  Giving them a high five on the way by always lifts my spirits and gives me an extra boost.  After that, it was just under 30 blocks with a headwind, but i was really settled in at that point and didn't seem to mind the pace until about 34th street, and we were almost ready to make the turn at that point anyway.  Once we made the turn onto the boardwalk again, I knew the wind wouldn't be a factor anymore and I just had to get through 21 more streets to the finish line.  King Neptune is always a welcomed sight at 30th street, and a good marker for an almost halfway point coming down the boardwalk.  I always enjoy running past the statue, whether it is this race, the Shamrock, or just out for a run on vacation.  I picked up the pace a bit around 25th street and finished very strong through 19th street.  When crossing the finish line, I was thrilled with my time.  When I got the official time, I had taken off 5 minutes and 20 seconds from my time last year.  I was pretty excited!  All the rest left me pretty fresh and ready to go.  I wouldn't recommend that long of a break to most runners, but it worked out well for me this time.

I think I will probably run a couple 5K's to finish up the racing season, but to this point I've completed 2 half marathons, a 10K, and a 5 miler so far this year. 

Girls are doing great.  They always keep me on my toes and continue to be the reason I run and try to stay young and healthy.  Nothing like their smiling faces everyday.  I wouldn't trade fatherhood for anything!

Have a great evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment