Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Turkey Trot

My first Turkey Trot went in 4 years went pretty well.  I haven't run one since my oldest daughter was born.  My wife and I used to run in York, but decided to run in New Oxford this year after talking to some of our friends about the race.  The race had just over 500 participants I was told.  Nice turnout for a small town.  The race was well organized.  We were not preregistered, and were able to do so in a very reasonable amount of time.  Plenty of volunteers checking people in.  I was a little late getting out to the start line due to running into some friends I haven't seen in a long time.  I was trying to weave my way closer to the front when the gun went off.  Time to run I guess.  I got caught up in traffic for maybe the first quarter to half mile, but really was able to settle into a nice pace from there on out.  I ran a nice steady pace on the reasonable flat course.  I think i could have taken thirty seconds to a minute off my time if I'd been positioned properly at the start, but that is my own fault.  The hills weren't that steep, but added a nice little challenge to the Thanksgiving morning.  On to the most important part.  My wife ran the race as well.  After having two surgeries in September and radioactive iodine treatment less than 14 days prior to this event, she went out and ran the course.  She really hasn't run since finding out we were expecting our first child over 3 years ago.  She's walked a few events with her father, but hasn't run since then.  Not only did she run this event, but went out for a run on Sunday as well!  I'm so very proud of her for getting back into running after giving birth to two children and battling surgery and treatment.  She is a great inspiration!

Daughters are doing great.  My oldest daughter got her first haircut Wednesday night, and then decided on Friday morning her sister should have a haircut as well.  Happily I caught her in the act before she could do much damage, but she did take a couple small swipes!  Aside from the haircut, they are just awesome.  Love every minute of being a parent.

I was able to go and watch Penn State play their final football game of the season on Saturday.  What a great day for a group of seniors who stayed in the program through all the turmoil of the past year!

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment