Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Race Recap

I was on vacation all of last week and my week was to conclude with the Peroni Crawlin Crab Half Marathon on Sunday, or at least I thought that was going to be the end of my week, minus a boring ride home.  As it turns out, I had a lot more excitement than that to deal with. 

The race was great.  Well organized in Hampton, Virginia, a town I knew nothing about and had never been to before.  I had trained well for this race, not great, but well enough that I had a goal in mind that I felt confident I could achieve.  About halfway through the race I realized I wasn't going to reach that goal, mostly due to the decisions I made in my diet from the day before, but those were my fault.  I enjoyed the course, running along the bay, through some historic parts of town, and circling back to the beautiful convention center.  The support along the course was great from the people of the town.  The volunteers were very upbeat and cheerful.  I made sure to thank every police officer and crossing guard for their time at the event.  The gorilla handing out snacks just past the halfway point was a great touch as well!  The rain started off and on about mile 6, and then became a full downpour at mile 11.  It didn't really affect me that much at that point, as I was still trying to make up some time from a couple unplanned stops, and 11 miles in, the rain helped keep me cool.  The downpour persisted for the final two miles, and I was soaked from head to toe until I finished.  I found my wife at the finish line and we went and enjoyed the post race party together for a few minutes.  The kickin corn and crab chowder in a bread bowl was great.  I had never had a Peroni beer before, but really enjoyed it as well.  The band Rock Star Parking was excellent as well, and played through the rain and what would turn out to be a much smaller than expected crowd.  All in all, I really enjoyed myself, and look forward to the event again!

On to the girls.  We had a great time in Virginia Beach for a few days.  The weather was great, in the 80's every day, water temperature was good, and the kids just loved playing on the beach and getting in the pool every day.  It was great to have the family time together and enjoy ourselves.  Late Friday my youngest daughter started with a slight fever and we didn't think much of it.  Saturday the fever went up and down a bit, but she was still eating, playing and carrying on her normal day.  Sunday, I had the race, and really didn't get a chance to monitor her well in the morning.  My wife had given her medicine around 10, and we had decided we would take her to the pediatrician on Monday when we got home.  That all changed on the ride home, we were 5 miles from home when my daughter had a seizure brought on by a rapidly rising fever.  Scariest moment I've ever had as a parent I believe.  After a trip to the emergency room in the ambulance and some antibiotics, she is recovering well from an ear infection!  Both girls are back to doing great today, and seem to be back to normal!

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment